Pages

Thursday 23 April 2015

The life clock: Pressure



When I was a teenager I mapped out how my life would be before I reached my mid twenties! When I reached my mid twenties, I had only achieved 3 of the things I envisioned but not all of them! I remember becoming anxious because I didn’t meet my personal expectations and that of others! Now I am in my late twenties and still have things I want to achieve before I reach my thirties!

I was thinking about a conversation I had with a friend of mine a few months ago and I thought to myself, “what’s the rush?” Who says that everything has to be mapped out and achieved before I reach a certain age? Who says you have to be married before your 30? Who said you must be flying high in your career before you reach 25? Who said as a woman you to have children otherwise there’s something wrong with you if you choose not to?

All these ideals are what society and tradition have imprinted on us and it’s not fair. It makes those who have not yet achieved what is expected of them to feel like a failure! Some people even give up pursuing certain things because they think it’s too late. I remember reading a story about a young man who committed suicide after he failed his exams and didn’t get into university. He felt he had failed his family because they were all ambitious and successful and therefore he felt like he wasn’t worth living. What a lie! If there wasn’t this pressure, he would still be here today!

Experience has shown me that things do not always go the way we planned, but that doesn’t mean we have to give up on life all together! Just because we failed in one thing, it does not mean we will fail in everything. We have to find the path that is for us and build our life on that. Through hardships and set backs we build up a character inside of us. We become wiser, resilient, understanding of others and open minded!

It doesn’t matter what situation you are in at this moment, or how your life is. You can change things around, you can become the person you’ve always wanted to become. You can be happy!

I read an interesting article this morning about 20 people who became highly successful after the age of 40! Check it out here: http://www.businessinsider.com/people-who-became-successful-after-age-40-2014-9?op=1&IR=T


No comments:

Post a Comment