Pages

Saturday 8 August 2015

My American Adventure: Visitng Texas, Pt 2



It was extremely hot. Where we were was 39 degrees Celsius (106f). There were hardly any people around and my aunty explained that when it's very hot, most people stay in doors.


As we were driving towards downtown Fort Worth, I noticed that there were no pavements, just wide roads and high ways. It's very difficult to walk around the suburbs and to the city due to limited side walks and local shops being quite far. Public transport is scarce, so many people have to drive. If you do not drive, you will struggle to get around. The bus that goes to the airport takes 2-3 hours, but it only takes 30 minutes in the car! That's because it goes all around before it gets to its destination. Buses are not frequent.


The area reminds me of the countryside in England. I noticed that part of the grass was green and the other part light brown. There hasn't been any rain for two months so it's very dry at the moment. Grass in the gardens are green because people water them during the night and in the day.


Our first stop when we arrived in downtown Fort Worth was the Water Gardens. My aunt used to hang out there with my uncle and my dad when they were university students in the 80s. It was pretty cool. Afterwards, we went to old Fort Worth that still has the old cobbles and cowboy feeling to the area. I was surrounded by deep southern accents and people dressed country style haha.


Because it was so hot, we didn't stay outside for too long and went to visit family friends and I met my lovely cousin in law for the first time. They live in a beautiful and quiet neighbourhood. We stayed for quite a few hours and was treated to taco salad and corn bread, which was AMAZING. I loved it and will definitely be making that when I go back home.


I had great conversations with them and learned so much. I love how friendly people are and how at home they make you feel. It was like I had known them for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment