Pages

Monday 3 August 2015

My American Adventure: Work life balance





I had a really nice relaxing weekend. After a busy week of working and finalising certain things as my adventure slowly comes to an end sooner, I was in need of a quieter and relaxing weekend to unwind and recharge my batteries for Monday morning, back in the office.

My work life balance has upgraded since being in New York. Back in England I generally work 6 days a week because I work full time Monday to Friday and on Saturdays I do freelance work for private clients. Sunday is the only official day I have off, but sometimes I work in the afternoon after church if I have deadlines or extra work, which is usually once or twice a month. Evenings are the time I can unwind and rest, after the housework and cooking. But life isn't just about work work work and I refuse to be a slave to it. Yes, I need to work and make money to live comfortably but we are not born to merely work, pay bills and die. There is more to life than this.

 I love not having to work weekends here and even having a day off in the week too because I have been able to rest, take care of household chores on my rest day so my weekend is free to go sightseeing relax at the beach, spend time with friends and Skype friends and family. I haven't been agitated or rushing around trying to cram everything in like I would back home. I am currently reviewing my routine back home and seeing where I can make adjustments so I can have a proper work life balance and make more time for the things that truly matter without causing a detriment to my work life and finances.

Saturday I went on the ferry with my friend Divya to view the Statue of Liberty.





Sunday I played volleyball with local youth in the neighbourhood after church and then went to the beach to chill out.


No comments:

Post a Comment